This video about the D.C. Central Kitchen deserves to be seen (and this program deserves to be emulated, widely):
If you’d like to get involved with the D.C. Central Kitchen, please go here.
About the author
DCentric was created to examine the ways race and class interact in Washington, D.C., a city with a vibrant mix of cultures and neighborhoods. Your guides to the changing district are reporters Anna John and Elahe Izadi. View all posts by Anna →
Thousands attended D.C.’s Chinese New Year parade on Sunday to celebrate the start of the year of the dragon. Organizers aimed to hold a bigger event this year, despite downtown seeing its Chinese American population decline. “We know there have … Read More
- DCentric Picks: Chinese New Year Parade
- DCentric Picks: Harry Belafonte Book Talk
People are more charitable toward young black children than older black children, according to a new study published in the journal of Social Psychological and Personality Science. Researchers examined data from a large, online charity that solicits donations for school … Read More
- Why Low-Income Kids Miss Out On Play
- 'If I Was A Poor Black Kid:' Not That Simple
Restaurants around D.C.’s unofficial “Little Ethiopia” have been experimenting lately, hosting everything from rock bands and comedy nights, to serving macaroni and cheese instead of injera and tibs. It’s all been part of an effort to stay competitive and alive in the midst of … Read More
- DCentric Picks: 'Trouble in Mind' and Food Day
- Gentrification Making Food Cheaper?
D.C. Councilmember Michael A. Brown will give away 600 backpacks filled with school supplies tonight, between 6-8 p.m. while supplies last. School starts Monday. The backpacks are strictly for District residents and will be distributed during the “Back to School … Read More
- What can vouchers do for D.C.?
- Private School Grads Fixing Public Schools
I was catching up with one of my favorite group blogs, Postbourgie, when I saw this: What do you think? Read More
- "Got the heat like Inskeep or Linda Wertheimer..."
- KNS Video: Jack Evans on Food Truck Regulations